by Rustic Escentuals
Sawdust fire starters are easy to make and are useful during the winter, when camping, or having bonfires. Sawdust Fire Starters help use up leftover candle wax when candle making and are actually great gift ideas when “dressed up” with some creative wrapping and matching ribbons!
Materials and supplies needed:
Candle Wax – any type of wax will work
Votive Molds, Dixie cups, party favor cups
Bags to package finished product
Pour Pitcher or Glass Pyrex Measuring Cup
Cover counter with wax paper, old newspapers or aluminum foil to make clean up easier. Melt the wax with the chosen method – Presto pot or double boiler. Make sure to follow the wax manufacturer’s melting & pouring guidelines for correct temperatures.
While wax is melting, transfer approximately 2 cups of sawdust to the pour pitcher or Pyrex measuring cup.
Ladle approximately 4 oz of melted wax to the saw dust. Mix thoroughly. If mixture is too dry, add more wax; if too liquid, add more sawdust. Try to make a nice stiff mixture of the wax and sawdust. The mix should look like the photo below.
When the mix of wax and sawdust is ready, spoon into votive molds, Dixie cups, party favor cups, etc. Pack tightly into the mold.
Allow the wax/sawdust mixture to completely cool and harden. Package until ready for use. A great way to dress up the fire starters is to use craft paper and raffia. To use, simply place in fire pit and light.
SOME SAFETY PRECAUTIONS
- Cover counter with wax paper, old newspapers or aluminum foil to make clean up easier.
- Be sure to wear safety goggles for eye protection. You do not want to be splashed in the eye with hot wax! Remember with wax – safety first.
- Waxes used in making candles are very similar to cooking oils – they are flammable and they are poured at high temperatures, but with certain precautions, accidents may be avoided. NEVER HEAT WAX ABOVE 210°F.
- For safety, wax should be melted in a double boiler. Wax should NEVER be heated directly over an open flame or burner. Direct heating can cause wax to explode and result in serious injury.
- Use of a thermometer is advised to ensure proper wax pouring temperature.
- Never leave hot wax unattended. Keep children and pets away from the area where wax is being melted and poured.
- Never pour water in a wax fire. Water will cause the fire to spread. To extinguish a fire in a pan, cover the pan with its lid. Use a dry chemical fire extinguisher.
- Never pour melted wax into the sink or other drains.